Recipe | Slosh Pudding

This recipe is one that my mum taught me and her mum taught her. I don’t know where it first came from (I think one of my mums Auntie’s may have found it in a magazine) but I’ll say it’s been invented by someone in my family until I find out otherwise. I remember Mum making these when I was really little, and to this day it’s a pudding I always ask for. I hear you asking, why is it called ‘Slosh’? What kind of word is ‘Slosh’? Well, in all honesty we ask that all the time. I think it’s because it isn’t a very tidy dessert and looks a bit thrown together….maybe sloshed together.

This is the ultimate indulgence pudding. Its full of cream and all round loveliness – not suitable if you’re on a diet, but we all deserve a treat now and then don’t we?
Anyway, the finished product looks a bit like this (messy I know, but that adds to its charm) so if you fancy making it, carry on reading…
 
 
 

You will need:

300ml Whipping Cream
300g Tinned Strawberries (commonly the equivalent of 2 tins)
150ml Tinned Strawberry Juice
200g Sponge Fingers
A large mould, tin or bowl


What to do:
1) Strain the strawberries through a sieve or colander. Keep the strawberries in one bowl and the juice in another.



2) Dip the sponge fingers in the strawberry juice and then line the sides and bottom of the mould. The mould I use, is my Mum’s that she has owned for years (when I asked how long she said before she got married, so over twenty years – I’m pretty sure she should buy a new one! *Christmas present alert*). We’ve only ever use this for this pudding but you could easily use something else but you may need more Sponge fingers.


 
(By the way - I know it's October but I couldn't find any other bottom so a Christmas Tree it is!)

3) Whip the cream to be a thick consistency so it holds its own shape.



4) Layer the cream and strawberries inside the sponge fingers



5) Dip a further amount of the sponge fingers and cover the top – it’ll look pretty messy but no-one will see this bit!


6) Pour the strawberry juice over the top.
 
(It definitely looks messy but this ends up being the bottom so nobody will see it)

Our mould has a lid so at this point I rotate the pudding so that the juice spreads evenly. If you’re using a bowl or tin I suppose you could just place a plate on the bottom to do this. I’ll rotate the pudding a few times over an hour or so.

 
The slosh is best left overnight to allow the sponges to soak up the juices and for it to set to the shape of the mould.

Finally, remove from the mould, eat and enjoy! 

You can taste the calories when you eat it but WHO CARES?!


Enjoy!

Hannah x

No comments