5 Things I learnt in my first year of blogging


Six months ago, I posted six things that I had learnt in my first six months of blogging. Check that blogpost out here! Having celebrated my first blogiversary (is that what they call them? I'm still a newbie) last week I thought I would post five things that I have learnt in the last few months/year about blogging...I'll make them different to the first six!


ONE: VARY THOSE TWEETS

I've scheduled some blog posts, scheduled the tweets and not varied what I've said in them at all. Even though it's unlikely all the tweets I post will be seen by the same people, you don't want to post the same thing all the time. If you vary what you say, your profile will look more varied, and people won't get as fed up seeing you on their timeline.

TWO: QUALITY OVER QUANTITY

I blog three times a week and I feel like I've got a better quality of content than what I had when I did blogmas in December last year. Blogging more, creates more posts and brings more traffic, but if the quality of your posts aren't great they won't want to come back. I feel like I've struck the right balance between posting often enough to keep people interested and keeping good content. Now I'm at Uni I might post less regularly however, now HBH is more established I'm not as worried.

THREE: YOU PICK THE CONTENT

I type what I want to type and I think that's important. I think it's vital that your blog reflects the things you love and the things you want to write, because otherwise it's just words that have no substance behind them. Don't write what you think you should write, type what you want to.

FOUR: IT'S OK TO RECREATE OTHERS IDEAS

Ideas....not content. They are two different things. When I'm scrolling through me twitter feed I see loads of different blog posts, and some really interesting ideas. It sparks a little seed in my mind, and at first I thought this was copying the original post - it's not, it's being inspired by it, but if you take their words, their structure, their content, that is stealing. And that's not cool. But being inspired is.

FIVE: DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE STATS. I count the views, who doesn't? But in the past six months I've learnt to stop worrying about them. A low view day could be for so many reasons and it doesn't mean no one will ever come back to your blog ever again. Don't get hung up on the stats because they'll take the fun out the blogging.
 
Hope you've enjoyed this, and if you've been blogging for a year like me, can you relate to some of these things? Any other things you've learnt?

No comments