Would I recommend a Gap Year?

 
A couple of weeks ago I wrote a post about what to do on a gap year when you don't travel. Well today I follow it up with a little bit of a ramble about whether I'd recommend taking one at all. Whatever you do, is it really worth taking a year out of education? Are you going to gain anything from that year that you couldn't get at some other point in life? Here are my thoughts...



I took my gap year for enforced reasons some of you may know about. If you're new here have a flick through my blog and you'll see what I mean. I was quite academic at school and I did pretty well in my A-Levels. I didn't love college, but I didn't dislike it either. I knew that when I were to go back to education it wasn't going to be like walking into something I knew I'd hate (the fact my career requires me to go to Uni was also something that spurred me on). However I did wonder if I'd get back 'into' it. If this is your concern about a gap year, I'd recommend you don't. Go back to Uni with the plan to be organised and it will really help. I've really planned my time out now I'm here and I know I will not have as much free time as I did last year. It's been really easy to get into the whole education routine again, and it feels like I've never been away (there's no difference between me and the ones a year younger).

Talking about age, I also thought I would feel much older than my flatmates and people on my course. I'm friends with a lot of 18 year olds, and I feel no different. I don't look older like I thought I would and to be honest, no one asked like I thought they would, they just presumed at first I was 18 then eventually it would come up in conversation but it wasn't a big deal.

A lot of people take gap years. It's only a year, and you have your whole life ahead of you, so it's not a lot of time. Everyone I speak to who took gap years, did it for a different reason and did different things. Some travelled, some worked, one moved abroad for a year, one visited family for a few months...all sorts. You will not be the only one.

I would 100% recommend a Gap Year. All my worries about doing it, have been unnecessary, it's worked out as well as it could have done, and I feel a much better person for it!
 
Hope this little ramble has all made sense, and that you can see the points I was trying to make! I'd recommend it any, to answer the question in the title of this post, then yes!  See you next time!
 
 

1 comment

  1. I too had an enforced gap - but mine was between school and college and it was of 4 years. For a while I used to think of it as a waste but gradually I came to see how it was all part of something that led me to going to university, which I'd never expected to do earlier on. And getting my degree was one of the best experiences of my life. THre's definitely something to be said for doing things when the time is right for you!

    ReplyDelete