A Guide to Surviving Freshers


Here I was two years ago when I filled my Dad's car to the brim and packed off to halls. It's that time of year again when groups of innocent 18 year olds fly the nest and head off to university. My freshers week was a week of two halves. The first half consisted of me consuming my body weight in wine before promptly parting ways with it again. The second half consisted of me crying into my pillow every night with the worry that I'd never make any friends. Today I thought I'd share my guide to surviving freshers and actually enjoying it.



TOP THREE THINGS TO TAKE
Alcohol, baked goods, tissues. Lets start with the alcohol. Let's face it this is the one thing you think about when you think of freshers - although irl it isn't like that at all! But there will be a lot of small talk as you get to know people and small talk is always aided by alcohol. I'd recommend one bottle of your favourite stuff, and if you're quite tight for money, pour some into a smaller water bottle and hide the rest or it will be gone before you know it and you'll be left thinking 'have I drank all that?'. Baked goods are great for mingling - offering a a student a cookie will guarantee to have them in your good books. And tissues for when you will be homesick - or just sick from the alcohol consumption!

WHAT TO SAY
So once you've asked people what's your name, where're you from, what course you doing, where do you go next with your questioning. There is nothing worse than that awkward silence as neither of you know what to say and the friendship has ended before it's even begun. Think of another go to question so conversation will flow. Mine was 'so, do you know Manchester very well?' - if they said yes I joked about how they'd know where to go for a night out, no, then we're in this together I'd say.

GET THE BALANCE
There is so much going on in fresher's week it can be very overwhelming. It's natural to want to get involved with everything and sign up to loads of activities and try to go everywhere with everyone. But it is just impossible and you'll end up burning out and feeling rubbish. Try to only do things that you really want to do - it is important to make friends but you don't have to stick by their side. Doing things you want to do will give you the chance to meet like minded people, then when you've got a free couple of hours have some me time, go do the weekly shop, laundry and just take a minute to process things.

DON'T TURN THINGS DOWN
Having said the above point a key to surviving freshers is not to let opportunities pass you buy. I stayed in bed for half of it and turned down invites to parties and trips out and eventually the invites just stop coming. Get involved and you'll enjoy freshers all the more.

For some freshers is the bomb, for other's it feels like a bit of a waste of time and for other's its somewhere inbetween. Whatever it works out to be for you, hope these few tips help you enjoy it all the more!

See you soon!
Love, Hannah x






No comments